Loading...

Our History

Our History

McGeehan Funeral Homes is honored to be a part of the rich history of this community. We look forward to being a part of it for many years to come.

Our Martin Chapel in Chesaning

Our Martin Chapel is one of the oldest funeral homes in Michigan. Formerly the Walker Funeral Home, it was established in 1856 by O.F. Walker. Mr. Walker was a carpenter and cabinet-maker by trade, and he started out selling handmade coffins. Through this trade, he became involved in the undertaking business. His original furniture shop and undertaking trade was located in the present-day Malt Shoppe. In 1884, Walker built one of Chesaning’s first brick buildings to accommodate his growing business. In the early 1890s, O.F. Walker’s son W.B. “Bert” Walker joined the family business. Bert received one of the first Embalmer’s Licenses ever issued in the state of Michigan in 1901. The license, numbered 15, still hangs in our office today.

Bert died in 1936, and F.B. Walker (O.F. Walker’s nephew) ran the funeral home for over 20 years. He sold it to Ray and Mary Martin in 1959, who renamed it the Walker-Martin Funeral Home. In 1983, Ray sold the business to his son, Daniel R. and Laura Martin. Dan and Laura operated the business for 32 years before selling it to the Nelson-House Funeral Homes family in 2015. At this time, Tyler and Adrianna McGeehan moved into the Martin Chapel to manage the funeral home. After 4 years, they acquired the business from Nelson-House and renamed it to match their family name, McGeehan Funeral Homes Martin Chapel.

The original Walker Funeral Home has continuously served the greater Chesaning community for over 160 years. We could not be more honored and privileged to continue that heritage for years to come.



Our New Lothrop Chapel

This New Lothrop funeral home was first established by Raymond and Eva O’Hare in the early 1930s and operated by them for over 35 years. After Raymond’s death, Eva O’Hare sold the business to Thomas and Pearl Whelpley in 1969. They sold it to Daniel R. and Laura Martin in 1988. Dan and Laura operated the Whelpley-Martin Funeral Home for 27 years. In 2015, Nelson-House Funeral Homes purchased the business as their New Lothrop Chapel. It was managed by Tyler & Adrianna McGeehan for 4 years before they purchased it from Nelson-House. Tyler and Adrianna renamed it McGeehan Funeral Homes New Lothrop Chapel.

We are proud to serve this small but mighty community of family-oriented hard-workers.



McGeehan Funeral Homes Martin Chapel in Chesaning
Phone: (989) 845-3420
316 W. Broad St., Chesaning, MI 48616

McGeehan Funeral Homes New Lothrop Chapel
Phone: (810) 638-5077
9405 Butternut St., New Lothrop, MI 48460


© McGeehan Funeral Home Crafted with care by Frazer Consultants & TA